Tuesday, June 30, 2015

From Temporary Housing to Summer Home

Gypsy and I have been through some rough times in the past year. Gypsy, that's the name painted on my RV. My sister says it's bad luck to change the name of a boat or an RV. Anyway, I call her Gypsy and I think it suits her.

After my ex husband left me, I lived in my partially finished motor house for a bit. I cleaned out the old water tank, installed a water pump, and installed garden hoses (suitable for drinking water) to replace the broken water lines. I got a heat on demand gas water heater from Amazon on clearance and cleaned and reused the old gas stove.

I didn't have much money to spend on roofing so I made my own out of rolls of aluminum sheeting.


I made my countertops out of discarded bamboo flooring scraps. and bought myself a fridge.


After being threatened by several people trying to tow my motor home away I ended up parking it at a friend's house for a while and living with a few different friends instead. Well as luck would have it those living arrangements failed and my crappy job at a public school was over for the summer. So, I turned to my faithful friend Gypsy for help.

I fixed her up as best I could with my meager funds and the help of a few friends and made the long trek back to my hometown. She drove like a champ (only 85,000 miles to her name). Sure her tailpipe fell off and her window wipers came apart during a rain storm, but she made it, and so did I.

At the rest area taking a breather

So, here I am now with my two beautiful kids living in my mom's driveway in a tiny town in the middle of nowhere in a motor home.

It's not the wreck it used to be anymore. We've made a lot of improvements since then. My kids and I painted the inside all white even the cupboards:

 I painted my bookshelf and put my book on it. It always feels more like home when I have a home for my books.
 And I finally fixed that pesky leak in my water heater from blowing a hole in it last Fall. It was my first time torch soldering.
 Then I added a pressure regulator so that won't happen again.
 I also built a shower water recirculator and carbon filtration system that allows me to shower for as long as I want on less than a gallon of water.




Then I installed a custom built touch screen PC that I built out of an old Kiosk computer, and of course it's running Ubuntu because Linux is freakin' amazing. It's not only my car audio system/media player, it's my TV, backup camera monitor, personal computer (that I'm using right now to write this blog post), and someday it will be my navigational computer, after I buy a GPS and program it.


Next, I'm going to finish my floor and paint the outside. It has a lot more features that I haven't shown yet, but I'll post about those when I'm further along in the project.

For now though it is livable and my kids and I are enjoying having a tiny air conditioned home for the summer, and it keeps getting better and better every day as we work on it together.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting on my blog post. I sure appreciate it : )